Thursday, February 15, 2007

What's in a Name?

So, in high school freshman English class, we were assigned parts of Romeo and Juliet that we had to present with a partner. My best friend Cameron and I were assigned the "What's in a name" scene. Oh, good ole balcony scenes. Anyway, we were required to memorize the lines AND create a mask to wear during our presentations. Being the overacheiver that I was as a freshman, I had my lines AND Cameron's memorized. I also had my mask done in advance. Cameron? Yeah, he made his mask at school the day of the presentation by ganking some leaves from some of the school's bushes and gluing them onto some paper. "I'm hiding in the bushes in this scene. This is perfect! Camo!" His lines? Written on the back of his mask because he had no clue... It was amazing! We got up there and rocked... Or not. Still, good memories.

So, what is in a name? Juliet made a good point. "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet." If that's the case, why does it bug us so much when our names are spelled incorrectly? With the first name Genevieve and the nickname Jenny, I am mistakenly called Jennifer all the time. (Probably doesn't help that I spell Jenny with a "J") It bugs me, but people aren't doing it to bug me. It just happens. Do we feel like we lose some of our identity if people mistakenly call us the wrong name? There's a country song out there called "My Last Name" by Dierks Bentley. Part of the song goes "Daddy always told me, far back as I recall 'Son you're part of something, you represent us all. So keep it how you got it, as solid as it came.' It's my last name." Names are important to our identity, they help define us. But let's take it easy, guys. Names are important, but it's the heart of the person behind that name that really matters. If people know that heart, your name is just an added bonus! I might correct you, but I won't ever get bent out of shape over a name again! :)

(Erik, thanks for the inspiration! I never really thought about my name and how I react to it being mispronounced. I appreciate your sense of humor at my bumble! Have a rockin' awesome day!)

1 comment:

Erik said...

Good to see that you've heeded my warning! Heheh!!

Seriously though...I meant to come across light-heartedly about the mis-spelling of my name. I hope it didn't sound rude...jerk!

Okay...really seriously though...I can't believe that you know the words to a country song. I thought Sony and I could be your friends.