Friday, February 16, 2007

The Prize

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14

I am slightly competitive. Those of you that know me may already know this. :) So, of course, it's in my nature to strive for the prize. When I was in high school, I swam for the prize of first place. I studied for the prize of good grades and scholarships. I smiled for the prize of close friends. So with all this striving, where does Jesus come into it? Am I striving for Heaven?

Going to Harding helped to focus my spirituality. In many ways, I could make my faith my own, not that of my parents. However, the whole University (with some exceptions) was doing this, so I still had that comfort. Now, I'm out on my own, deciding for myself where God plays into the picture. Here's the thing: He should BE the picture.

I'm not sitting here beating myself up. This is just a personal reminder, and maybe a public reminder, that while competition in the world is great (GO BLUE!), we gain so much more striving for what Jesus has to offer. Previous to the above verse, Paul says that he is forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. He doesn't say that he's forgetting just his accomplishments. He's forgetting everything that is behind. Don't let your past create drag (sorry, swimming term). Let it go and race ahead for that amazing prize that will not fade with time, because it shines for all eternity!

The theme for Winterfest this year is "The Prize." I'm excited to discover what God will put on my heart this weekend! Pray for me that I can be a good example to those around me! Have a great weekend, all!

No comments: